Ikea's IVAR cabinet . . . Reimagined

Before heading to Americasmart Wholesale tradeshow in Atlanta, I was in need of some display pieces that would allow me not only to display my products, but have optional storage for excess catalogs, tools, and of course food . . . (it was a 5 day show ; D). So, with budget is mind, we headed to IKEA and found this unfinished wood IVAR cabinet that we thought would be perfect.

After being disappointed in a slipcover that I had sewn for the cabinet, I decided to use an old Law Book that I had picked up on one of my scavenger hunts at Shinola Antiques.  Because so many of my paintings are mixed media, I thought this would be a good choice to carry the theme.

Once the cabinet was put together, I used Decoupage medium to apply the original pages to the wood cabinet.  I will say . . . that because I did use the originals instead of making copies I got more wrinkling in the paper than I would have liked . . . but I really like the original patina that the old pages had so it was a trade-off.

 

The grooved doors proved to be the most challenging area but other that that, it was a pretty easy task.  Once all the paper was applied, I then painted the top and sides with a color I had matched to the page color.  After allowing to dry for a couple of days, the entire piece was top coated with Varathene for protection.  A trip to Hobby Lobby for the knobs and they were ready to ship to Atlanta.

It was a fun project and worked out very well at the show.  Now they have arrived back at the studio and will serve a new function.  You can never have to many storage piece in a studio . . . or at least I know I can't!